Thursday, March 3, 2011

their hearts were racing

Want to know one thing you can always count on to make the childrens' hearts race?

This.


Here's how it went down...
(Imagine this as a slow motion movie.)

LOTS of children running, yelling, chasing, sliding, swinging at the park. LOTS of moms, a few dads, sitting around the outside edges of the large playground.  Some talking to other parents, some supervising their child closely, some texting and taking a break from parenting.
 
The sound of the ice cream truck drawing near.
A few kids stopping in their tracks.
They listen.
Did we just hear what we think we just heard?
The ice cream truck is now in sight.
PANDEMONIUM!

I watched as children ran slow motion all around me.
"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!"
My own children-
one of them running toward the ice cream truck
~without money
one of them screaming my name
~asking for money
one of them oblivious to the truck
~could care less about money

A few moms with one child gave in.  
Thanks Moms.
As I looked around, I noticed mothers and fathers with more than one child were dealing with sad/mad/disappointed little faces.
"Why do THOSE kids get ice cream?" I was asked.
"Because their mom is nicer than your's," was my reply.

Not good enough.

"But, why do SOME kids get ice cream and others don't?" I was asked.
"Because I just have my keys, and my phone.  No money."
"Oh."

Thankfully, my children came to the truck when I called them later on.  Thankfully, my children were NOT the ones screaming in Subway during supper.
Thankfully, I finally remembered to bathe my children this week.  

It was a good evening.
And it very well could have ended up pretty grumpy.... all because of the ice cream truck. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You can see the ice cream guy's butt crack!!! LOL

Unknown said...

P.S. That was not Tom, it was Hannah. I'm just on Tom's computer.

rentz said...

I say that ALL the time: "Because their mom is nicer than your's."
Great moms think alike! Haha!

Deb said...

That's one great picture! HA HA!
Also, I think it's a great thing to NOT give your child everything they want. You are a VERY GOOD MOM! :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

This is why I love you.

Also, because you start your stories with "This is how it went down..."

Jessica said...

I'm still caught up on the fact that the ice cream truck is already around in Kansas! Then again, I suppose we have "all you can eat snow cones" here!

Danielle said...

I love this post! You make me laugh. You're such a great mom. I'm going to remember that line the next time my kids complain about not getting to do something their frieds are doing. I want to join the "great moms" club with you and Gina :)