Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Going Green

Last Friday Gracie was playing on the monkey bars.  Just doing her thing, when she fell... on her wrists.  She went to the office three times because of how much it hurt.  The nurse finally wrapped it up and she was sent home with the diagnosis of her wrist being "spranged." 

Gracie complained all day Saturday.  
Tylenol.
Gracie complained all day Sunday.
"Can't you just take me to Immediate Care?"
More Tylenol.
We told Gracie if it still hurt on Monday one of us would take her to the doctor. Well, Monday came.  Chad took her to the doctor. Turns out her wrist is broken.

We ARE awesome parents.
Usually.
Just not this weekend. 
But, this is not about us.
Gracie's wrist was put on a board, and wrapped.
Of course this helped with the pain.
She was much happier.
We were feeling horrible about our parenting.
But, again... this is not about us.

Today I took Gracie to the doctor to get her cast.
I have never broken any bone in my body (I'm a wuss when it comes to doing anything active.  Some might call this prissy.  I call it safe.) So, I wasn't sure what all getting a cast on meant.

I took out my camera, and asked the nurse, "Can I be THAT mom and take pictures while you do this?"  She agreed that would be ok.  So I clicked away.
When the nurse asked Gracie  what color of cast she wanted, she said right away, "GREEN!"  Little did the nurse know that Gracie is a think-ahead type of person.  She knows St. Patrick's Day is coming up and wanted to make sure she didn't forget to wear green!  Clever.
I took her back to school afterward and she about couldn't stand it.  I couldn't walk fast enough (while carrying a sleeping Jada) to keep up with her.  She would not wait for me.  Gracie was so excited to get to her class so they would see her cast.  But, most importantly, she wanted to get there so people could sign her cast! 
 Gracie came home from school telling us that her favorite part of having a cast is that she gets to be the 
~center of attention~
Yep... the perks of breaking your arm, folks!
You get to have all the attention (even from the boys... shhh...).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell her to leave room for Nana's signature!!!! Looks like it's filled up already.

jami said...

awesome color Gracie:)

Jessica said...

That last part made me giggle out loud. Imagine Gracie liking being the CENTER OF ATTENTION! She is so funny! Tell her the cast looks so cool and Irish! ;)

Kara Janzen said...

Ha ha! If it makes you feel any better, when I was little I was playing on the clothesline pole and fell off--was probably a Saturday. I complained all weekend of my arm hurting but mom and dad never took me in, until Monday. What do you know? My arm was broken! :) So just know you're not the only parents who have done it. And next time you see my parents, you'll have to give them a hard time. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, leave room for the art teacher's signature too (not as important as Nana's . . . leave room for that first :) So sorry she broke it, but I agree with everyone else, great color (and great thinking ahead!).

Megan said...

Two awesome quotes from this post:

"Some might call this prissy. I call it safe."

AND...

"her favorite part of having a cast is that she gets to be the
~center of attention~"

I have a friend who refused to take her son to the doctor - he had strep.

Danielle said...

Between Hannah and Abi, we' ve had four, count them, four broken arms. We' ve never taken them in on the day of the break. Matter of fact, Abi broke her arm on the first day of our vacation and we waited until we got home to take her in. She loves to tell THAT story. We're presidents of the good parents club:)

Amy said...

Sophie is hoping there will still be room for her name tomorrow! She left early today for her first braces appointment!

Amanda said...

Gracie! I broke my right arm when I was in first grade too! :) You are just taking after your Aunt Amanda. You are even luckier though because when I was little we didn't get to pick a color..it was just an ugly yellowish white. Love the green and can't wait to see you!
Love,
Aunt Amanda

maggitootis said...

Same type of thing happened to Jakob when he launched himself out of the crib at my parents (he wasn't even 2). But they would have only splinted it if you had taken her in earlier.
Glad she's feeling better!