Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Scary Moment

Another paragraph my second graders write is about a scary moment.  

Again, I have many. 
I'm kind of a wuss.
I have lots of terrifying dreams.
Chad doesn't especially like how I wake him up screaming in the middle of the night.
It's not his favorite.


But, thinking back to my childhood, one scary moment (that isn't a dream) sticks out the most. 

My friend, LeAyre, and I were in my basement playing with dolls when we were maybe 8 years old.  We were alone (not neglected as your face may be expressing right now.... it  was the 80's...).  Seems like I thought my mom would be the first one home. 

We liked to pretend to take the "babies" to the park ("Wanna go to the park?  Huh?  You wanna go to the park?"), and so we had our babies all ready to go... when we heard the door open and close upstairs. No one called downstairs to us, and so when I yelled, "Who's up there?" with no answer, we started getting scared.  Le and I had a blanket that we hid under- making sure our babies were under there, too!  I called again.  No answer.  I started to cry, so LeAyre started to cry.  I heard someone banging around in the kitchen, and so I got real brave and yelled again, "Who's up there?"  A voice called, "It's me!"- but it wasn't a voice I recognized.  A man masking his voice as a woman's voice.  

Stranger danger!

We immediately headed under the blanket- as if it could protect us from who was upstairs.  

More crying.
I peeked out from under the blanket and saw my Dad peeking down the stairs.
My Dad answered in the woman's voice.
We told him how scared we were.
You think he was real compassionate about our fear?
Did we get hugs and were told it was ok?


Umm... I think it pretty much went like this.
(Pat, pat, pat on the back) "It was just me," as he turned around and went back to what he was doing in the kitchen.

My dad was just trying to be funny, but unknowing to him, he was involved in one of my most scary childhood moments.  Don't worry Dad, turns out I'm ok. :)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

That would totally freak me out! Confession time, I scream during the night A LOT. I always think Mitch is killing me. He is the most gentle, tender, kind-hearted human being I know but for some reason I think he's killing me rather frequently. He doesn't let me watch anything scary on TV (which I wouldn't do anyway because I'm a wuss too). At a women's retreat a couple of years ago, I thought my roommates were trying to kill me and I went nuts screaming at them. No one wants to room with me now :)