Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What It's Really About

Have you ever had one of those evenings that just doesn't go according to the plan?  If you're like me, you let it eat away at you for a while, get really grumpy about it, and then when it's all said and done, you realize what LIFE is really about, and you get that Mommy Guilt going on.

Chad had an emergency at work tonight.
Which screwed up my plans for supper.
I made a crappy supper for the kids and me.
Hardly any of us ate it.
A neighbor girl came over and used the "bad C word" I just used above, and tried to get my daughters in trouble for repeating it.
That made grumpy, and impatient with her.
A certain 5 year old was e.m.o.t.i.o.n.a.l. tonight.
It also happened to be Kindergarten Round up.
I threatened not to go- I've been before.
I work there for goodness sakes!
But, it wasn't about me tonight- my sweet husband reminded me.
I called my sweet friend, Danielle, and begged her to bring her oldest daughter to watch G and T.  
While I sat at the table at school- still grumpy to be there- Danielle came over and we sat and talked through the whole thing.
Just what I needed.
(She also rubbed my back for a few seconds, which was also what I needed- physical touch only a friend could give.  Not in a creepy way.)
I gathered my troops, came home, gave baths.
Had an outburst at my stubborn 5 year old.
Apologized.
Read books, laid with T until he was asleep, and started thinking...
Rather than being grumpy that I had to do it on my own, I should be thankful I could spend time with my kids.  
I choose how I act.
Isn't this what I teach my kids/students?
I'm only as mad as I allow myself to be.
And I allowed myself to be miserable tonight.
So petty.
It should really be about enjoying those three precious people I get to take care of.  And I do- but, not enough tonight.
I was reading a blog last night about a single mom's daughter who was just praising and praising her mom for everything the mom did for her in her life... and how the mom never complained.
I want to be more like that.
It's going to take some work though.
That Mommy Guilt has a strong hold on me. 


5 comments:

Amy said...

Hate that mommy guilt.
Love that Danielle.
Sorry you had a lousy night.
Love you, my friend!

Doug and Sarah said...

You're a terrific mommy! Tonight might not have turned out the way you planned/wanted, but that's why we get tomorrows. Mommy guilt is the worst! Hang in there!

Momma Amy said...

Great post! So real and a wonderful reminder to us Mommies. I tell my kids often that they have a choice in how they react, then I show them what not to do! Grrrrr. You are an AWESOME mom!

Love you - Mom said...

:`( Brings back memories I wish I didn't have to remember!

Danielle said...

I'm really sorry your evening didn't turn out the way you planned.

Wait a minute, I'm not really sorry because I got to spend time chatting with you :) Hannah loved playing with T and is still talking about it. Abi had tons of fun playing with G.

Let go of the mommy guilt (I know it's easier said than done!). You are such a wonderful, gracious, loving and creative mommy. You're also a wonderful, gracious, loving and creative friend :) We're all blessed to know you and our lives are richer for it!