Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bedtime

We usually take turns putting the girls to bed, and putting Trey to bed.  These two things look very different.

The girls:
Lately, the norm has been for Trey to come lay in one of their beds to listen to their books.  We read two books, then Gracie goes on to read another 30 minutes or so of her book (tonight it was one of the chapter books she checked out from the library.  She checked out three and read all three today.  Wanted me to take her back this evening to go get more). Jada wants her back rubbed- "make a pizza, Mom!"  They have one of those lamps that has several bulbs in it with colored fixtures.  We leave two of those lights on, tell them we love them, and walk out the door.  They rarely come out of their room.

Trey:
We climb into his car bed.  Cover him up with his red blanket.  We read a few books to him (his books don't take as long to read so we read more).  We turn off his lamp, start the music, and lay with him until he's asleep.  This can take at least 30 minutes.

I've talked to several mom's throughout my almost 8 years of being a parent, and have had numerous conversations about bedtime.  Some say not to lay with them until they fall asleep.  Some don't care.  I'm one that doesn't care.  

There's a song that plays in Trey's room at bedtime right now- this cd used to be Gracie's when she was a baby.  We used to hold Gracie, and rock her to sleep, and then sneak out of the room on tiptoes.  Anyway, this song sings, "You're only little for a little while..."  It's so true! I can't believe Trey is already two years old, but I REALLY can't believe that Gracie is almost 8.  Someday, too soon, they aren't going to want me to read them books anymore.  So, until then, I will read books to them, rub their backs, and lay with them until they fall asleep! 

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I ALWAYS rocked my babies to sleep and then laid them down. Mitch would lay with Hannah until she fell asleep. I don't regret a single night of making sure my babies were asleep before I left them. Hannah is 13 and Eli is 11 and they have both outgrown it. Abi still needs to be tucked in and I LOVE it! You're exactly right, they grow up so fast.