Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Being a Mother

I would love to tell you that I'm such a great mom everyday.  That I can't WAIT to go get my children after school, take them home, cuddle them, and just give them attention for the whole 4-5 hours that I see them a day.  

But, I'm a real mom.   
And that doesn't happen everyday.

Not sure if it's because I'm a teacher, and I'm surrounded by kids.

All.  Day. Long.
As in- from the moment I wake up, drive to school, teach the whole day long, drive to pick up my other kids at daycare, and go home- there is a kid with me.

Or, if it's just because I'm pooped at the end of the day, and because I like my alone time, I choose to do dishes and listen to them play rather than take part in the actual playing.  


Don't get me wrong, I am Supermom in many ways.  
Let me even go as far as to brag about my husband calling me Wife/Mother of the Year in the CHRISTMAS LETTER this time last year.  


But, who am I kidding?  I'm a real woman.
I have needs.
And tonight, those needs included ALONE time.


So, this blog post serves as an encouragement to other moms out there who feel guilty about not spending complete nurturing/loving/no fighting/cuddling time with their kids- when all you really want to do is go push a grocery cart around Dillons for 30 minutes so you can get away!  


Will I feel this relaxed about how I spent my time this evening, tomorrow?  You bet I won't.  
But, for tonight... it's what I needed. 


And dang it- I'm worth it!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Alone time rejuvenates you so grab it every chance you get! And DON'T feel guilty! Your children know you love them!!!

Luv you - Mom