Sunday, November 7, 2010

Spirit, Move Me

Seems like just when I post something worldly, God speaks to me and says, "Wait, I have something better."

Do I WANT that picture for my wall that I posted earlier this week?  Yes, I do.  So, I'm caught in the middle...  I'd like to update my living room differently, but, how much of it is me wanting worldly pleasures?  

Christmas is coming up.  6 more weekends, in fact.  Today in church, Pastor Brad talked about Christmas Conspiracy.  Giving more time to build loving relationships (taking the kids sledding, baking Christmas cookies), Loving all- the poor, the sick, the lost, the needy.  Worshiping fully- lifting a song to God.  Spending less- even one less gift this Christmas season. 

As Christmas approaches, we're going to have a family meeting.  We'll see how the kids react.  I'm pretty sure Trey will be ok with it.  He doesn't know any better.  After a talk about how just $50 could give a family in the Dominican Republic clean water in their home, I'm hoping praying they will be convinced that they can give up one present under the Christmas tree.  

What challenge can you give YOUR family?  One less present? ONLY one present? Let's get back to the REAL reason we celebrate Christmas.  "God created us to live within sound of his voice!"  (Great quote I heard today.)  What is God calling your family to do?

2 comments:

Mira said...

So true Jody. I have been thinking what worldly things I can give up or at least live without. There are many, I'm sure. Thanks for posting this. Just what I needed to hear.

jami said...

That is a good question and one we need to sit down and think about. I agree that the reason for the season is lost in monetary value. Thank you for challenging me:)