Tuesday, June 22, 2010

MY little piece of heaven

It's wheat dust blowing around and sticking to you- so much so that you have the dust in the back of your throat for a day.

It's standing out in the hot, hot June Kansas sun for hours and hours.

It's driving along in the wheat truck with my dad or another relative, feeling all farm-girlish. 


It's sitting in the combine watching them "mow" the wheat as I used call it.

It's climbing into the wheat truck to play in the wheat kernels finding bugs and chewing the wheat until it's gummy.

It's HARVEST.
Next to Christmas, it's my favorite holiday.
I'm sure there's something nostalgic about it- 
it reminds me of my parents and extended family when we were all younger.  The women taking out containers of sandwiches to the field where my cousins and I were playing, riding, sitting.  They're some of my very favorite memories.

And now, I get to share harvest with MY kids.  This was Jada's first year of riding in the combine.  She loved it!  Good thing Robert and Jon don't mind the girls being in there with them.  In fact, I've heard they kind of like it.  Maybe next year will be Trey's first summer of harvest.  He already says, "tractor."

Chad's piece of heaven would probably be 
sitting at a KU basketball game.
My Mom's piece of heaven would probably be 
buying up all the items in an antique store.
My Dad's is his Canada fishing trip.
Kara's piece of heaven would probably be 
getting pampered at a day spa.
Roy's piece of heaven would probably be 
sitting next to Chad at the KU basketball game.
And my piece of heaven is... 
harvest. 

5 comments:

Amy said...

Corey says will sell you an acre and you can be our neighbors back on the farm. Wanna?? :)

Chad and Jody said...

tempting. but we like having neighbors better. and chad has major allergies. he can't even come with us to the field.

Amy said...

But you would have neighbors. Us. :) And we could sell you a portion that's off the highway. I like having neighbors, too... hence, the offer. :)

Chad and Jody said...

I like having a husband. Sorry. No go.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

You're more of a farm girl than I'll ever be!

I'm just a wannabe.

My littlest kid did get to ride a combine the other day and thought it was the highlight of his life.