Sunday, June 6, 2010

Let's Pretend

Let's pretend for a minute.
Let's pretend that there was this mom who woke up every morning with a smile on her face.  She was overjoyed to see her children awake and happily playing together.

Let's pretend that this woman played with her kids all day long doing what they wanted to do- nevermind the agenda that was on HER mind.  (Dusting the house, washing the blinds, cleaning out the car, scrubbing the bathroom.)


Let's pretend that she runs into her husband's arms the moment he came in the door.  She gives him a kiss, "How was your day?", supper is almost ready.


Yes, let's pretend she actually MADE supper.


Let's pretend that the kids were well behaved at the supper table.  Everyone waited for each other to sit down to pray, and then let's pretend they all talked cheerfully about their day.  Because, after all, it was perfect the whole day, right?


Let's pretend they laughed, and had fun all evening doing things from their "summer list," because they were being intentional about how they spent their time.


Sound like your day today?  Or yesterday?  
Nah, not mine either.


And while I do love summertime with my kids- it seems that each summer is a new experience.  This summer we have three kids who can walk by themselves.  Two kids who feel fairly comfortable in the swimming pool by themselves.  One parent who works during the day away from home.  Oh, how I miss that man when he's not here.


Certain events that happened last week made me want to be more intentional about something else this summer.  Putting God's love in my heart.  I mean, it's there.  I just don't use it to it's full potential.  Deuteronomy 6:5-9 says:
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
with all your soul, and with all your strength.
These words that I am giving you today
are to be in your heart.
Repeat them to your children.
Talk about them when you sit in your house
and when you walk along the road,
when you lie down and when you get up.
Bind them as a sign on your hand 
and let them be a symbol on your forehead.
Write them on the doorposts of your house
and on your gates."

I'm not a good pretender.
Yes, I did spend most of my childhood pretending
with my dolls and Barbies.  But, now is not the time to pretend to be a strong Christian.  I need to show my children that I love the Lord.  And the Lord says I need to raise my children up loving Him.  

Last week I heard a mom say over and over to her son, "Do the right thing."  Today I heard a woman speak at Amy's baby shower about raising your son to be a man of the Lord.  That's pretty powerful.  

So, I'm not pretending to be that perfect mom, wife, friend- like the one I described above.  But, I'm hoping I can be like her sometime throughout my day- and show that Jesus is in my heart. 

Be the mom who, when she wakes up, hears the devil say, "Aw crap.  She's awake."


2 comments:

Jessica said...

I love this post!

jami said...

That was powerful and well said. Thank you for the inspiration:)