Friday, July 20, 2012

curtains

My poor mother.

She's a saint.

She puts up with my brilliant time-consuming projects I find on Pinterest.

But, she IS the one with the sewing machine.  (I have asked for a sewing machine for Christmas- I'm guessing she'll be contributing to that fund.)

Last Wednesday I dropped off Gracie at a friend's house, went through Taco Bell for the two youngers and me, and we headed to mom and dad's house for our, what we didn't realize to be, all day project.
Again, my brilliancy (just made that word up) came into effect as I ordered a hard shell taco for my kids to eat... in the car. 

   Two bites in and I was regretting that move like the time I took a butane curling iron to WILDERNESS CAMP!

Anyways, we headed on- I figured any taco pieces left in the seat was for the birds.  And any other creepy creature that lives in the country by my parent's house.

The project I so lovingly brought to my mother that Wednesday was lots of panels that I had cut from queen size bed sheets.  The plan was to sew these panels onto a very large (102 in. by 65 in) piece of bed sheet to make a ruffled curtain for Sophie's closet.

This is how it started...

 I "hemmed" the panels with that iron on fusion stuff.  Now, that's my kind of sewing.

Then, mom put stitching across the top part of the panel and we pulled the backside string (I know you're really impressed with all of my unknown sewing vocabulary) so that it bunched it up and made a ruffle.  And then, she sewed it onto the very large piece I mentioned earlier.

The look on my mom's panic-stricken face was priceless as she realized what this project involved.

However, she pulled it together (as always) and once we got started and learned what we were doing, we were on a roll.

This is what it looked like after a few ruffles were sewn on.
 
5 and a half hours (no joking) later and this is what we had.
 I guess I'll have to learn that after 5 and a half hours of sewing you get to have the "Hi.  I just woke up," look about you.  


Mom, don't worry.  After Christmas, you'll get to just come LOOK at all my Pinterest projects!  And Chad might be the one with the panic-stricken face!


If you want to see where I got this idea from, it's here.
 

4 comments:

Megan said...

I love those! Moms are the best. :)

Mom said...

Seriously laughing so hard!!! I've recuperated...and ready to get it finished. However, I'm actually volunteering to cut the panels for the curtain....:)

Danielle said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this project!! It turned out super cute!

Jessica said...

Well done! I'm going to be super impressed if your mom's sewing talents pass on to you...