Thursday, October 21, 2010

ugh

Parenting.
Sometimes I suck at this.
Like tonight.
Kids crying, screaming, tackling each
other because they don't like what the other
is doing.  I go and pull one off and she 
starts crying for "grabbing" her.
At one point I told myself,
I quit.  I walked away so I wouldn't
say something I'd regret... but ended up
saying something I regretted to Gracie.
Why does it seem I do this to her
more than I'd like to admit?
It's not like she's necessarily "harder"
to raise than the other two.  Is this something
a lot of parents do to the oldest one?
I don't want to look back and think,
"Man, I was hard on her." 
Sarcastic comments don't help.
From me.
"A gentle answer turns away wrath.
But a harsh word stirs up anger." 
Proverbs 15:1.
It's good advice.
I should listen to it more often.
I don't want to miss out on the fun 
times because I'm angry that they're
at each other, again.
I'm so lucky I worship a God who
forgives me.  Who shows mercy and grace
and tells me to try again and again.
Sometimes we give the best we have
at the moment.  But, I know I can do
better at times.  
Parenting is hard.
But, I'm so lucky to have my 
children.
And even luckier that I have a 
Teacher that I can learn from.

2 comments:

jami said...

That was so honest and beautiful. I think that every parent in this world could say everything you put in this post.

Anonymous said...

parenting is so hard sometimes. Let's talk about it sometime. I'm certainly not an expert, but I think I can offer some insight about how things are with three, and how things change as they get older -- I'd love to visit with you about it! I agree with Jami, beautiful, honest post. Beth