Saturday, August 28, 2010

Frog Day!

Friday was Frog Day at school!
Frogs that were brought to school were brought in that morning in a container.
First, in the classroom, we made frog hats.  This is Taegen.  She's a sweetheart!
I'm sorry... I do not know
how that part above was highlighted.
And I don't know how to fix it.
We drew a circle with chalk on the cement, with an X in the middle of it.  The students sat (at first) in a line to watch the frogs jump.
 ...until some of them saw frogs like this...
 and decided they'd rather watch from a distance.
 Or, in the safe arms of another parent.
 We put the frogs on the X, give them three jumps and then measure from the X to the third jump.  (notice how far this huge frog jumped- he's in mid-air!)
Every year fellow teachers, and parents, are amazed at how brave I am to pull the frogs out of the containers.  It's cute to hear how excited some of the kids are about handling their frog... but when the time comes to do it- they get scared and want help.  I've learned to just remind myself the frog/toad won't bite me... the grossest thing is how slimy or squishy some of the bigger ones are.  
 A few frogs made a beeline for the fence to the safety of the creek.  Some of the frogs and toads refused to move.  
 However, that could be because once the frog started jumping, the kids looked liked a flock of birds running in a big group this way and that following the frog.  So,  we had to regroup and have a talk about staying in your spot and letting the "frog catchers" gets up and catch the frog.  Otherwise, we were going to have squashed and stomped on frogs and toads.
Once inside, second grade teachers announced in each class who was the winner of their class.  Peyton was the winner of our class. His frog jumped the farthest.  
(Notice the icing on his face.  
We had a birthday party after recess.  
You know... on frog jumping day.  Why not?)
 
All in all, it was a great frog jumping contest!  Can't wait til next year!  It's my favorite day of the year.

4 comments:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I am cracking up!

You're crazy. And brave. There's no way I'd touch frogs. I'm such a girl.

Do you want Gracie or Grace on your necklace? I don't remember what the other one said. And FB won't let me email anyone.

Amy said...

You are totally brave. I need to send you some pictures. I got some really cute ones! :)

jami said...

You look so cute with your class. I bet they loved that:)

The Boccias said...

What a fun day!