Saturday, April 24, 2010

surgery

We're home.  Where have we been, you ask?
In the hospital.
I had a hysterectomy.  Not only did I have a hysterectomy,
I also had exploratory surgery (through my belly button)
for the third time in 7 years.  It's just really weird to think
my doctor could put a camera down through my belly button
and take a good look at my insides.

You might be asking- why did Jody have a hysterectomy
at such a young age?  (thank you... wink, wink)

Well, you may or may not have known that last year, at this time
I lost a lot of blood due to a piece of placenta left after having Trey.
To make a very long story short, I needed to have a D&C to remove it, which
caused me to get Asherman's Syndrome.  (You can read about it on the web.)
I was told by my baby doctor that I could go have surgery to take care of the
Asherman's Syndrome, but from what I could tell from the websites (and from
what the doc told me) it isn't guaranteed, and involves lots of doctor appointments
post-surgery.  So, I asked him if he would do a hysterectomy, and he said yes.

I feel really good about this decision. My surgery was around 7:30 a.m.  I was in my
hospital bed around 11 a.m.   And while it wasn't fun to be in pain, or not be able to
just get up and go whenever I wanted to, it's wasn't so bad either.

A few things I learned:
1.  Sleeping for a whole day without interrupting kids is NICE!
2.  Having a nurse come to hand you medicine to take the pain away ROCKS!
3.  I LOVE beds where your legs can be as high as you want them to be.
4.  My husband is the BEST (insert a word here including HUSBAND, FRIEND, NURSE, etc.)

Ok, back to my fog.  These meds are wonderful, but they make my head feel like it's floating.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm still laughing about the thunder as if I was actually there and it all went down! I love us! Glad you're home and healing, and I had no doubt Chad would be the Best in Show. I mean, Best of everything! ;) Love and miss you guys! *hugs*

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Thinking of you and praying for you!

Please let me know if you need or want anything... I'm home all day, remember. :)