Tuesday, January 10, 2012

DIY

So, I've recently discovered Pinterest.
If you haven't, be warned now... it will make you want to make things for your house, buy new clothes, make new recipes, and possibly make you happier.

I found a Do It Yourself project on there that I wanted to try.  It involved finding large windows.  Chad's cousin, Kristin, had some, and so my first DIY project began.  

I had something else in mind for this window, but I'm happy with what I came up with.  I have one more window that I will eventually get to and make into my original project- after ALL the other ones in my head right now! 

What I did was buy very pretty scrapbook paper in colors that my living room pillows are in.  Then, I borrowed a butterfly punch and punched out a ton of butterflies.  Originally, I was going to put all these butterflies in a group to the left of the window and then have a few flying away.  But, the more I organized them onto the window, I came up with the idea of spelling out a word.  So, I got to work folding the butterflies in half so the wings stick out, and found my daughter's low temp hot glue gun and went to town.

Lots of people come up with a WORD for the New Year, instead of resolutions.  So, my word I came up with is DREAM.  



I know it's not amazing, and if anyone has ideas on what to add to it, let me know.  I promise I won't be offended.  I'm knew to this- making your own decorations.


But, it was fun.  And, I just might have a new hobby.  :)

7 comments:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

What???? That is SO cute!!! You did a great job!

Megan said...

LOVE it! I need to get myself some of those old windows. The only addition I would think about making is maybe a cluster of little butterflies in the top right corner? But maybe not. I need to find you on pinterest, now. :)

Doug and Sarah said...

I think it looks great! Pinterest is crazy addictive!

Amy said...

It's even cuter in person.
And you know where the butterfly punch is if you need to make more. :)

Jessica said...

Nice, Joda! Aren't DIY projects fun?! The best part is that it's usually so inexpensive that when you tire of it and want something new, you just do it. Your mantel looks so pretty! I can't wait to see your house!

coleen said...

I love it. I will be looking for windows to steal your idea! Beautiful.

Mom said...

Oh my goodness....is this leading into "following in my mom's footsteps" crafting projects? However, I like you're crafting ideas much better...this is awesome! Now I have to find some small windows!! :)