Friday, May 7, 2010

the last 24 hours

It's 1:00 p.m.  I should be taking a nap because of how dizzy I am today.  But, my mind keeps racing (and I'm not even on those crazy pills anymore.)  I keep thinking about all the events of the last 24 hours, and how blessed I am.  Starting 24 hours ago...

1 p.m. (yesterday)- a crafty friend stops by just as we're getting ready to go to Wichita.  She has her favorite flowers in a jar that she's decorated with ribbon- so cute.  Like I said, crafty.  Wish I had one decorating bone in my body.  But, this is about HER.  She knew just how to make my day.  I'll miss not seeing this lady next year picking her kids up from school...

7 p.m.- after playing outside in the beautiful weather we bathed all three kids, put on pj's, put the youngest to bed and I got to cuddle with the oldest Childs.  She doesn't do that often, but I love it and it reminds me that she was a baby ages ago and she's growing up too fast. 

8 p.m.- I hear the middle Childs crying to her daddy that she's afraid of the possible storm coming and he tucks her in, climbs into bed, and reads just one last story to her.  Precious.  

Midnight- after listening to the baby Childs cry for a loong time I walk into his room to see him crying through the teething pain on daddy's lap in his dark room.  Not only did daddy give him a bottle and rock him back to sleep in the middle of the night, but he slept on baby Childs' floor until 3 a.m.

9 a.m. (today)- I saw the BEST status on one of my current students mom's facebook.  (got all of that?)  Only short people can appreciate this one: "If I stand on my tiptoes.... I can see the weekend from here!  Whoohooo!"   Love it.

9:30 a.m.- I heard about how to be the best mom on t.v.  We just talked with one of the girls last night about not believing everything you hear/see on t.v.  But, this was good.  The lady said the way to be the best mom to your kids is to parent each of them differently.  They have different tastes, personalities, senses of humor, etc.... So, you have to treat each one different.  Let one kid stay up later to read if that helps them go to sleep, and let one kid have a snack after going to bed if that comforts him/her.  You're not being unequal, you're zoning in on their uniqueness.  Great advice, and it takes pressure off of how I sometimes think I need to equal everything out for all three Childs.

Noon- after getting out of bed from reading a fantastic book for over two hours, I made mac-n-chz.  Now, you might not realize this, but making mac-n-chz perfectly is like creating art.  You have to have the right amount of all ingredients in order to make it taste the best.  However, you also have to watch the noodles as they boil or else you get soggy ones.  Which is what I did today.  Gross.  And then, I ate my overcooked soggy noodles in my mac-n-chz: over half the bowl I might add, uck.  And then felt sick and had to sit down for a while.  (This isn't one of the "blessed" parts I was talking about earlier.)

Now- I sit in my bed, dizzy for whatever reason (maybe from surgery still two weeks ago), and ready for a nap.  I'm blessed to have a job that allows me to have a surgery I needed, and allows me to stay home for four weeks to recover.  There's no way I could be at school teaching children effectively right now.  Time to go sleep before the rest of this Childs family gets home!  :)
  (These are two of the 8 arrangements I've received in the last two weeks.  I've loved them all, but these two have the biggest, most colorful flowers in them.  You have to admit- these flowers are gorgeous!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

love you. love, me.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

This is so sweet!

I love your yellow wall color and the verse on your wall.