Thursday, February 18, 2010

Esther

Recently we went to Grace Community Church.
Oh, how I love to hear Dave's sermons.
I LEARN things from him.

I've never heard the story of Esther in the Bible.
I've heard OF Esther, just never read the book of
her, or heard about what made her so great.
Did you know that she was chosen out of a TON of
women to be the new queen after the king dethroned his
previous wife?  Coincidence?  No.  God knew what he was
doing, even if Esther didn't.
Can you imagine it being against the law to
approach your husband without being invited to do so?
Good thing the king saw how special she was.  He not only
allowed her to speak to him, he told her she could have
anything she wanted- even up to half his kingdom!  After
two nights of  feasting Esther talked the king into changing a law
that would kill her people-the Jews.  Pretty impressive, don't you think?
Of course this story wouldn't be complete without a villain.
The man who tricked the king into setting a day where all
Jews would be killed was hung in the end- because of
Esther and her cousin (Mordecai).
Everything was set in place for God's people to win
in the end.  And He sent a heroine to make that happen.

I've thought so much about this story the last few weeks.
What are the plans God has for me?
A verse that I keep thinking about is Jeremiah 29:11-
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to
give you hope and a future."   The Message says, "...I'll
show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you
back home.  I know what I'm doing.  I have it all planned out-
plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you
the future you hope for.

I have some big decisions to make in the next few months.
That verse is heavy on my heart.
What are the plans He has for ME?
Am I to be as great as Esther someday?
What if I fail to choose what He thinks is best for me?

No comments: