Thursday, December 8, 2011

Let's have a talk

Christmas is such a wonderful time of year.

It makes you remember all the GOOD you have in your life.  And I think it's important to remember all of that.  Sometimes I get caught up on the "bad"- not that I really have that much "bad" going on.  But, you know what I mean.  Health issues (that seem to be never ending sometimes!), children driving you crazy with their fighting, work schedules and stress that comes with that, a really tough class that I sometimes wonder if I got any teaching done at all during that day while I'm redirecting loud kids, friendships ending for no good apparent reason (even though you've tried to figure out why- which has been a new one for me- which is probably why it's been hard to understand), etc.  

But, we have had a GOOD year.  I've lost 20 pounds.  Chad got a new exciting job.  The girls are doing SO well in school.  We moved into a new house.  We got to travel this last summer to see family and friends.  We have a new niece and nephew in the family.

God has blessed us richly.  

And I'm so excited for Christmas break- I can almost taste it. I hope you and your family feel as blessed as we have this year.  


Please listen to what God lays on your heart this Christmas season.  Do something GOOD for someone else.  Follow in others' footsteps by doing random acts of kindness for someone you do/don't know.  I did this with my classroom the other day.  I gave them each a tiny bow that you get for Christmas gifts.  I told the students it wasn't FOR them, that it was for someone else they saw doing something kind that day.  It could be saying something nice, "You look really cute in that hat," or helping a friend tie her/his shoe, or if they saw that someone's feelings were hurt and someone went to see if they were ok.  It was so fun to watch them during the day and to see their faces light up when they got one from someone else.  It made such a difference for the kids to WATCH for acts of kindness rather than what they usually do- which is focusing on the "bad" thing that someone did to them, and then tattling right away.

Kids love this.  Adults love this.
So, do it.
It will definitely make your heart happy.  
And you could add it to the list of GOOD things for the year.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Great idea! I love it that you always look for good in your classroom. True story - I had a dream last week that it was enrollment time and I enrolled Abi in 2nd grade again. You really do make a difference in your students' lives (and some of the mommies too!).

Amy said...

I love that idea for your classroom! Random acts of kindness are one of my favorite things! Such a warm fuzzy feeling for everyone! 20 lbs! Yay for you! And I still want to see your new house sometime!!

Mom said...

AWESOME!

Momma Amy said...

Great post Jody! Love it.