Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago

Never Forget.
That's what I've been hearing all day.
I don't think I could forget.
It was my first year of teaching.
I taught third grade.

During a time when I had a free moment, I walked up to the secretaries office to do something and noticed they had two tv's going behind them, and several people were watching something I've never forgotten since.  
I watched a burning building and thought to myself, "Where are the twin towers?"  (Guess I needed to pay more attention in geography class?)  I immediately knew this was bad, but had no idea how this would affect me.
While I didn't know anyone who died that day, I know it affected the way I thought about my life, and others I care(d) about.  A year later I was pregnant with Gracie, and had VERY weird dreams about war and bombs, and giving birth to Kermit the Frog who I kept in a backpack when I rode on my motorcycle.
I've loved seeing all the American flags on t.v. today at many memorial services throughout the day.  I'm proud of our country.  It feels like we're more united.  
I'm sad for those who lost loved ones.  And I think this gives us a great opportunity to teach peace to others.  Pastor Brad talked about this today.  He hit it right on the mark.  
Love others.
Pray for enemies.
Show peace.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I remember where I was too - at home with my kiddos. I remember stopping what we were doing and praying with my kids. This may have been their first heartfelt prayer. I'll never forget.