Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sowing seeds

When I was little my family had a HUGE garden.  
Ok, I don't really know how big it was, but to me, as a little kid, I thought it was ginormous.  
 
I remember there were potatoes, tomatoes, onions, green beans (?), and probably other vegetables.  But, what I liked best to eat were the cherry tomatoes.  We'd have them all the time at the table.  

What I LOVED best about the garden is that my parents would take me out there and let me help dig up potatoes, or pick the cherry tomatoes.  
And then I'd see the worms.  Even though I was kind of afraid of them, I'd try to show my dad how brave I was about holding them or picking them up out of the ground.  I'm sure I squealed like a girl when he picked them up.
 Our garden growing up is such a good memory for me.  My parents taught me about growing our own food and how much work and time it takes to do that.
 So naturally we are trying the same thing.  
To grow our own garden.
Tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, cilantro, strawberries, pumpkin, cucumbers, and spicy peppers.
 And hopefully through the summer we will actually grow something in our garden.  And we'll be able to teach our own kids about sowing seeds, and eating from the fruits of our labor. :)
 Let's just hope this guy doesn't eat everything out there.
 

2 comments:

Mom said...

Love this!!! Troy's are doing the same thing...now next on your list...how to can the veggies from your garden! That's when you call MOM!!!!!

Troy Schrag said...

I may have overdone it with the cucumbers. I counted 30 today that have sprouted so far. I'm going to try to grow them up on a trellis this year.