Monday, July 25, 2011

My Grandpa doesn't know me.

But, I know him.
I know him as my grandpa who used to always have peppermints in his pockets, and he'd give me one during church.


I don't know him as the man who, in his early stages of dimentia, mistook my husband for my brother.


I DO know him as my grandpa who loved to talk about the farm and what he did there as a young boy/man.


I don't know him as the man who repeated conversations.


I DO know him as my grandpa who could put the sparkle in the existing light in my mom's eyes.  


I don't know him as the man with Alzheimer's who used his glasses as silverware.


I DO know him as my grandpa who used to laugh and laugh- especially when his daughters would tell stories!


I know him.
And I can't wait to see him again in Heaven without Alzheimer's.  Just as my Grandpa Hanchett.
 
 

6 comments:

Megan said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandpa! I've known first-hand the last few years how difficult it is to see your grandparent become someone else, someone who's not your grandparent. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Heartbreaking!!

Jessi said...

Not easy. Praying for you and your family.

Mom said...

Even tho' it was very hard on us last Thursday to see him like he is, I'm so glad that we went. To see him smile when Trey sat on the table in front of him was worth the tears we had in our eyes when we left~

Amy said...

I'm sorry.

Danielle said...

So beautiful and heart breaking at the same time. Well said, my friend.