Friday, August 3, 2012

My New Normal

It's Friday!
Where did the week go?
The kids and I have Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week together before I officially have to report back to work.  


This summer we've accomplished quite a bit!
I've changed just a little, I think.
I've discovered my new normals.
Let me share.


1.  I spend every cent of our paychecks during the summer months.  Chad can not wait until next Thursday when I go back to work.  Apparently, Dillons and/or Wal-Mart need to see my face once a day.  I should get an employee discount for all I buy.


2.  I apparently worry about my kids choking while they're in my care.  Not that I'm incapable of feeding them without them choking.  But, I find myself not leaving the room when they're eating.  In the van, I move the rearview mirror so I can watch them eating in case they choke and I have to pull over really fast.  Let's just be glad that I don't have the same lunch times as my girls- otherwise, I would get no adult talking time.


3.  I've discovered the dishes don't do themselves.  At the other house, I would volunteer to do the dishes quite often because I needed a "break" and pathetically enough, that gave me one.  Chad usually does the dishes after supper, but I guess I need to train the dishwasher to load itself during the day.


4.  Trey's new normal is thinking I'm going to buy him a toy (train or car) every time I walk into the store.  I forgot how exhausting age 3 at a store can be.  How do I break him of this?  Go to the store after kids' bedtime?  I have been "that mom" carrying a screaming kid out of the store more than twice this summer.  Go me!


5.  Our new normal in one week will be having 6 members in our family!  We have each Childs' picture in big 8X10 frames on top of our piano and I kept noticing that they were pushed off to the side and there was an empty spot on the left.  I would move them back to where they were, and again a little while later they would be pushed off to the side.  One day I got caught and Jada said, "MOM!  We have those there so there's room for Sophie's picture!"  My sweet girls are already talking about their new sister and making room for her on our family wall.  Everybody now, "Awwww..."

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Awww, I love that!!

Good for you for carrying a scraming kiddo through/out of the store. I'm a big believer in teaching my kids to go to the store with me and learning that "no" is an acceptable answer. Go you!

Danielle said...

One more for you - my kids still look at me and say "I'm ok mommy" when they cough or choke a little. I'm a total worry wort on the choking thing.

Jessica said...

I would never call you normal... (:

I used to let the girls play with toys while we shopped but know they had to leave it at the store for "next time." Or they could remember it for Christmas or birthday. It worked well, but we'll see what happens with my #3! We may have a few screaming episodes in the years to come, too!

I can't wait to meet Sophie!